The Catholic Tradition of Classical Education
with Dr. Andrew Seeley.
The Catholic Tradition of Classical Educationwith Dr. Andrew Seeley
This course will be of particular interest to Catholics seeking to the renewal of Catholic liberal arts education, or wanting to learn more about the Catholic tradition of classical education. The course will also be of interest to anyone wishing to know more about how seminal thinkers like Augustine and Aquinas have influenced the course of education from the ancient period through the middle ages and to our current moment.
Teachers taking this course will also enjoy hearing Dr. Seeley’s insights and passion for education in the recorded conversations with Dr. Christopher Perrin.
- Lesson 1: Course Introduction
- Lesson 2: The Wisdom, Experience, and Teaching of the Church
- Lesson 3: St. Augustine
- Lesson 4: Hugh of St. Victor
- Lesson 5: St. Thomas Aquinas
- Lesson 6: The Ratio Studiorum of the Jesuits
- Lesson 7: The Jesuit Education of Rene Descartes
- Lesson 8: St. Basil Moreau and St. John Bosco
- Lesson 9: The Magisterial Documents of the Church
- Lesson 10: The Magisterial Documents of the Church Continued
- Lesson 11: The Magisterial Documents of the Church Continued
- Lesson 12: Classical Catholic Elementary Schools
- Lesson 13: Classical Catholic High Schools
- Afterword: The Catholic Tradition of Education
- Discussion 1: Andrew Seeley’s Journey into Classical Education
- Discussion 2: Where Are the Catholics?
- Discussion 3: Augustine in the Classical Tradition
- Discussion 4: Aquinas in the Classical Tradition
- Discussion 5: Pedagogical Insights from Thomas Aquinas
- Discussion 6: The Fulfillment of the Church’s Teaching on Education
- End of Course Test: Catholic Tradition of Education
Please Note: ClassicalU is currently developing a certification to accompany our course offerings. The certification credit component of this course is not yet active. We anticipate making certification credit active for this course by November 2018.
To obtain a certification credit for this course, simply complete the quiz that follows each presentation by Dr. Seeley, and then also take the certification test at the end of the course. The quizzes are designed to ensure that you have understood the essential content of each presentation, and they can be taken more than once if necessary. The cumulative certification test at the end of the course is given as a pass/fail test and requires that you upload one short essay (of 500-600 words) demonstrating your understanding of this course. When you have completed the course, a certificate that you can print or email will magically appear under the “My Courses” section of this website.
For this course the essay assignment is:
Describe the ways in which the teachings of the Catholic Church about Catholic education are fulfilled in the classical tradition of education.
Please allow approximately 2 weeks for essay submissions to be reviewed.
By taking the course for certification credit, you also will be on your way to obtaining a Level 3 certification.
Join the Conversation
Discuss these ideas with educators from across the country and the globe.