Lesson 1: Progressive Education and the Progressive Movement
Don't Have the Book?
We recommend reading The Transformation of the School in conjunction with this course.
Read the introduction to the Transformation of the School.
Recommended supplemental books:
Outline of Session
- How did the school system transform in the period after the American Civil War and before World War I?
- What contributions in science and technology influenced the development of progressive education?
- Why did progressive education align itself with the processes of “democratization”?
- Who did the progressive movement in education impact the most?
- In what ways has the progressive movement shaped the cultural landscape of U.S. society today?
Article (Differing Perspective - Compare and Contrast)
Join the Conversation
Discuss these ideas with educators from across the country and the globe.