Lesson 2: Clear Words for Classical Education
In this session, Dr. Perrin argues for the recovery of meaningful vocabulary for talking and thinking about classical education and provides a glossary of more than 20 key terms.
- The Liberal Arts Tradition: A Philosophy of Christian Classical Education by Ravi Jain and Kevin Clark
- Plato: The Great Philosopher Educator by David Diener
- Early Christianity and Greek Paideia by Werner Jaeger
- Leisure: The Basis of Culture by Josef Pieper
Recommended ClassicalU Courses:
Outline of Session
- What was the original aim of classical education?
- What was the original meaning of the “liberal arts”?
- How might you counter the claim of a critic that classical education is elitist?
- How do you use published curriculum as the teacher rather than let the published curriculum be the teacher?
- What must a human being have to truly be a student?