Lesson 2: Logic as a Core Discipline
In this session Joelle Hodge introduces the art of formal logic, addresses the role that logic plays as a core discipline, and offers several compelling reasons for studying logic.
Supplemental Discovery of Deduction resource: Assessments, Quizzes and Extra Practice (PDF) from Classical Academic Press.
Outline of Session
I. Beyond the Textbook
(1) What is the nature of academic argumentation?
(2) What is a thesis statement?
(3) How does a student learn to make accurate statements and craft a persuasive argument?
(4) Why is Aristotelian logic the indispensable link between grammar and rhetoric?
(5) In what ways is a study of logic foundational not only to academic discourse, but also to developing a twenty-first-century worldview?
II. Approaching the Discovery of Deduction
Why is it necessary to approach The Discovery of Deduction with the larger picture in mind?
Join the Conversation
Discuss these ideas with educators from across the country and the globe.