Discussion: Logic in One’s Life and Study
In this session, Joelle Hodge and Christopher Perrin discuss the importance of teaching and learning formal logic.
Outline of Session
A discussion with Joelle Hodge and Christopher Perrin on the ways the study of logic can impart capacity “across the curriculum” and in various spheres of life.
- In what ways can you see the study of logic imparting capacity to your thinking, reasoning, life, and work?
- How might we help students to see the value of studying formal logic?
- Do your students ever talk about the ways they are using logic in other studies or other parts of their lives?
Assignments and Action Steps
- Brainstorm a list of ways that formal logic imparts capacity to you and your students.
- Study the “Deduction in Action” sections in The Discovery of Deduction textbook to see examples of how logic relates to many human activities.
Join the Conversation
Discuss these ideas with educators from across the country and the globe.